Sinatra's Will Averts Family Feud
Share this post:
As expected, the document, made public, divvies up most of Sinatra's considerable estate between wife No. 4, Barbara Marx, and his three kids, Frank Jr., Nancy and Tina.
The kicker? Obviously aware of the considerable tension between his kids (all from his first marriage to Nancy Barbato) and his wife (for many years they reportedly refused to be in the same room together), the Chairman included a clause in his will that automatically disinherits anyone who contests it. That means the heirs will have to make nice if they want to collect.
Ironically, the source of the bad blood was control of the Rat Packer's estate. Of particular contention: the issue of who has dibs on merchandising Frank's name--a brand name that has adorned everything from bottled pasta sauce to Korbel champagne. In the latter years of his life, Sinatra's trademark had been fiercely controlled by Tina, but it has been given to Barbara in the will, something Sinatra probably knew would cause even more friction.
Here's the lowdown on the will: Barbara, his wife of 22 years, gets $3.5 million in assets, along with mansions in Beverly Hills and Malibu and a ranch near Palm Springs. She also receives rights to Sinatra's Trilogy recordings, most of his material possessions and control over his name and likeness. Frank Jr., Nancy and Tina get $200,000 in cash each, as well as stock. Their mother and Sinatra's first wife, Nancy Barbato, gets $250,000. Frank Jr. gets the rights to his dad's sheet music. Grandkids Angela and Amanda Lambert share $1 million in trust. Robert Marx, Barbara's son from her marriage to Zeppo Marx, gets $100,000. Sinatra's pals Elvina Joubert and Dorothy Uhlemann get $150,000 and $50,000, respectively. His best bud Jilly Rizzo was supposed to collect $100,000, but he died in 1992 and was removed from the will.
READ FULL ARTICLE: http://www.eonline.com/news/36451/sinatra-s-will-averts-family-feud
Certified Trust and Estate Planner (CTEP™)
Certified Trust and Estate Planner (CTEP™) is one of the most recognized Estate Planning and Trust Planning certifications in the world. This certification comprehensively deals with all the aspects of Estate Planning like Intergenerational Wealth Transfer, Wealth Preservation, Trust Planning, Succession Planning Estate and Gift Taxation.
The Chartered Trust and Estate Planner (CTEP™) Program is an International Certification Course focused on Estate and Trust Planning in Philippine context which forms a very important subset of Personal Finance, Financial Planning, Wealth Planning or Wealth Management. The program allows the participants to develop skills in wealth transfer, succession planning, family wealth preservation advisory skills.
The program is ideal for Entrepreneurs, Family managed business owners, Financial Advisors, FinancialConsultants, Wealth Managers and Financial Planners to develop cutting edge knowledge in Estate Planning, Trust Planning, Succession Planning, Private Banking, Family Office, and Financial Advisory.
If you are financial professional, the CTEP™ program will help you to better position as the advisor to affluent individuals who havethese needs and who can assist with your client's total wealth management.
Practitioners who complete this program will gain the best of both worlds: estate planning ideas plus asset repositioning implementation. By having the Chartered Trust and Estate Planner (CTEP™) Designation, you will learn ways to unlock this wealth by providing invaluable advisory services.
Benefits of the CTEP™ Credentials and Designations
- Increase Your Earnings – CTEP™ Designation Holders earn 25% more than their non-certified colleaguesaccording to the 2013/2014 Compensation Guide by American Academy Financial Management.
- Advance Your Career – CTEP™ Certification is documented evidence of expertise and experience, representing a high level of skill, knowledge and professionalism.
- Enhance Your Marketability and Job Security – Stand out against other applicants in a tough job market. Prepare yourself for greater on-the-job responsibilities. Validate your competency in Finance Domain.
- Gain Professional Visibility and Credibility – The CTEP™ Credentials and Designations are accepted worldwide as the standard of excellence in the Financial Services Industry.
- Distinguish Yourself from Your Peers – The CTEP™ credentials are recognized in the hiring and promotion policies of leading organizations, including the US Department of Labour , Wall Street etc.
- Impact Your Company’s Bottom Line – Research conducted by various organizations that CTEP™ Designation Holders were able to perform better than their non-certified peers. The knowledge and skills gained on attaining the Certifications from CTEP™ helped in better client interface and better technical skills leading to overall growth of the Company and the Individual.